It's Monday, again. Yay! I decided that this past week was a good week to finally make the crate seats I had seen a year ago on Erica's blog called The Honey Bunch. Yes, I did say a year ago...I'm a very slow project person but Tara at Fourth Grade Frolics has really gotten me motivated.
I already had three of the black milk crates so I only had to purchase three more. Target had them on sale for $3.97.
Then I went to Joann Fabrics and picked out my material and ribbon. Erica had given me advice about using a darker material to hide the grime so I did just that. The two patterns I chose match perfectly although it's a little hard to see in the photo. My oldest daughter was helping me and she has a good eye for these things. I am very happy with her find. She also found the matching ribbon. :). The last thing we needed here was the cushiony stuff. I had a couple of 50% off coupons so total cost here was about $21.
Our next stop was Home Depot. I went to the lumber department and explained what I was doing. I also added that I wanted to do it the cheapest way possible. A young gentleman went in the back and came out with a $19 piece of plywood. It was ugly but that didn't matter at all. So he measured my milk crate and cut the 6 pieces that I needed....for FREE! (I forgot to take a picture of the plywood pieces...)
Later that night,I borrowed my husband's staple gun, measured, cut and stapled away. Here's a photo of the back of the seat...not pretty but that's okay, too.
And finally, here are the seats all put together. I LOVE them! Thanks, Erica and Tara!